Ass warming

My lingo for useless time spent between vagabonding. It’s similar to the feeling of ennui the non-vagabond has going for a 9-5 job she detests but worse coz the vagabond doesn’t even have that detestable job to lose himself in ! Personally, I warm my butt mostly at home. Every self respecting Indian son is expected to stay at his parent’s home if he is within a 1000 km radius. If work takes him away, 'that’s alright, son.' Even after marriage lots of sons still live under mamma’s wing with their wives as per tradition. And hence we have all these exciting mother in law/ wife spats that’s serialized by TV channels as soap operas and hence provide employment to thousands. Yes folks, optimistic oppurtunistic people that we are, there’s always a silver lining in India for even the most hopeless problem.

When I come home after a long trip, I help around the house and finish all those chores my folks lovingly put aside just for my arrival. After that initial adrenaline flush and honeymoon period with my folks, relishing the unbusy streets and clear soft water of my home city, the lethargy soon sets in. Soon im moaning about going to the shop around the corner for bananas. The Malayali’s love affair with bananas, that will have to be another post !

Although my star sign dictates me being loyal and submissive to my blood no matter what, I have not exhibited any such idiosyncrasies so far, much to my parent’s exasperation. So to avoid calling in the cops, I usually get away every couple of weeks when I’m home to the village where my dad grew up. Ah yes the die hard fans of this blog, who devour every word I write, would realize that I have been raving about this place in the past few posts. Terra firma surrounded on 3 sides by a kayal (lake), it’s the kind of idyllic place writers or pretenders like me would feel inspired. I always stay for a few days recharging my vagabond batteries. Also by this time, folks back home think that maybe having me around is not such a bad idea after all. Of course this cycle repeats itself ceaselessly.

to be continued...

7 comments:

  1. the comments section was 'disabled' by blogger or a 3rd entity with my password for this particular post. do u guys think that blogger is sensitive to the use of the word 'ass' in the title ?! hmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hardly. I should know, my peers are angsty adolescent bloggers. I'm sure Blogger has seen much worse than 'ass'.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol...nice writing,save for the weird lingo..

    ReplyDelete
  4. ok ok,. what next..*bites nails in anticipation ;) ,personally I think though I looove my folks,I can tolerate them and them me ...only so much

    ReplyDelete
  5. raji, on a 2nd read i thought the weird lingo was the only saving grace for this piece ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gal, I don't blame you for the excitement and anticipation. Almost fell asleep reading this again! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to write :)